Colin In Canada

Wednesday 22 October 2008

Flight 2!

No sooner had I settled my stomach with yet another bagel (I had eaten myself through numerous during the week), Trevor came back in the Duo Discus, and offered me the back seat. Of course I accepted!



007, the Duo Discus

This time, I did much less of the actual flying, and concentrated on learning how Trevor was soaring the different mountain environment, as well as taking photos. Another tow from Sharn took us up to 2000', where we gained some good height before crossing the valley to go explore the mountains on the other side.


This time we got very up close and personal with the mountains, and even though the cloud had filled in above, the wind and the remaining warmth was enough to provide plenty of lift. We explored the various valleys, and Trevor showed me two famous glaciers- Farnham Glacier where the Canadian National Skiing Team train during the summer (they use Cats to get to the top, then race all the way back down a giant, giant slalom), and the other where the film Alive about the Uryguayian Rugby Team, whos plane crashed in the Andes and they had to survive the cold and the snow until help came, was filmed. He also showed me where the Jumbo Glacier Resort, Canada's summer skiing resort, is planned to be built.



I also got to see Panorama from the air, which was very interesting- it obviously had a lot less snow than Sunshine at that time of year! However, you could still see where the runs were, and I could recognise some of the places I had skied about 3 months ago.

I took control for some ridge-running in the mountains, which helped settle my stomach which had started to protest again! Then we flew out into the valley, for some more aerobatics for a total flight length of just over 2 hours and 130km.

This means that, in one day, I had flown around 3 1/2 hours, and covered more cross country distance than ever (my previous best is 212km). Although it's hard to compare between my 52-year-old single seater, in tame british conditions, and the sort of flying I experienced on this day.

After packing everything up for the day, all the pilots were treated to a huge barbeque arranged by Kathryn. This would have been the perfect night to stick around at the club after dark with a campfire...
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home